A course blog from the students in HY 201 Dual Enrollment at Jacksonville State University and Jacksonville High School, Fall term 2016
Wednesday, November 16, 2016
What I knew vs what I learned (slavery)
Throughout My prior history courses in school, we haven't really gone in depth with slavery. I know the "basics", if you will. I know that pretty much all slaves came from north Eastern Africa. And how they came to the Americas through a triangle sort of thing, with the middle passage bringing the slaves across the Atlantic. I learned the middle passage was very brutal on the slaves, many slaves not even surviving the journey over. They were packed by the hundreds and sometimes thousands into ships, separated from the people they knew, separated from their children and families. Before this week I also was taught how slaves were moved around and sold, under the impression that slave auctions were more professional and not as disrespectful (I guess, not the right word) to the slaves. I was surprised to find out slaves were usually without clothes, and that they were treated more as property than as the actual human beings that they were. When I learned of the way slave traders tried to improve their ways of moving and picking slaves into their ships, I found it especially cruel.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment