Tuesday, November 15, 2016

Slavery

     Before this class, I was taught the same thing over and over again about slavery. I was taught about how slavery was horrible and was very inhuman (which I still believe) and that Americans treated them as objects and property even they were also human like the Americans.  I was taught about triangular trade and the process it to go through it, but I didn't know about the harsh conditions the Africans went through in the middle passage. Slaves were packed into the ships until there was absolutely no room left in the boat. There was even books that taught how to effectively pack the slaves onto the ships with the most amount of slaves as possible. The slaves were also given very little food and some starved to death. Those that died were thrown off the ship every now and then and sometimes, slaves would be thrown off with the dead one just because they were chained together. They were also naked and put in very unclean places that were hardly cleaned. Once they made it to the Americas, they were treated like objects and property. Families were split apart from each other because slave trades refused to to sell them together thus they were separated. The slaves would be put through inspections and would vary  in price based on their physical abilities. All of these thing that I talked about I did not know before this class and were all new to me. This class showed me that slavery was even worse than I and thought it was bad enough before this lesson.

No comments:

Post a Comment