A course blog from the students in HY 201 Dual Enrollment at Jacksonville State University and Jacksonville High School, Fall term 2016
Monday, November 14, 2016
Views on Slavery
My opinion of slavery has not changed after what we were taught in class. No person can own another person. Like a true hippy would say, nobody can own anything, but this is especially true for another person. Also, I would assume you expected me to know very little about slavery. The horrid and obscene conditions of the middle passage is something I have known for a while, and, even though I had not seen any of these movies or depictions of this I assumed the worst. Thus, to my dismay, I was correct. This, as well as the punishments of the slaves due to the fear the rich had of revolt or rebellion, was something of which I was fully aware. I knew why abolishing slavery was such a difficult thing to do, especially in the deep south. The economy was completely based upon slavery, an entire workforce that was almost completely free. One small detail I did just learn, however, is the fact that free blacks could be kidnapped and forced into slavery entirely legally. You skimmed over this information and did not really go into detail about it. I am ignorant of these depictions of slavery, but 12 Years a Slave was one of these examples of kidnapping that I did not know about. Honestly, if I could, I would try to end it if I was forced into slavery. I can not imagine the horrible experience I would go through. At the end of it all, have my views on slavery changed? They have not much. I have always felt this way about slavery.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment