A course blog from the students in HY 201 Dual Enrollment at Jacksonville State University and Jacksonville High School, Fall term 2016
Wednesday, November 9, 2016
Thoughts on religion (Chap 10)
It seems as though religion in this specific time period was almost mandatory, and everything associated with religion was forced to be put first in an individual's life. There was not such thing as "skipping out on church this week" or "i have a lot of homework I can't make it." I do not agree with the fact that not being associated with a religious reform or anything was looked down upon, it should be up to the individuals preference. But I do respect the dedication these people had to their religion, I believe if you associate with a specific religion, you should be invested and dedicated and spend ample time learning more and more about it. One thing I also noticed while reading is that churches and reforms seemed very subjective, like if the minister or most of the church didn't like you, then you were rejected. Nowadays pretty much wherever you go is welcoming, that's how it should be in my opinion. You should be eager and excited to share your religion with others, it did not seem this way in the chapter. I do feel pity for the groups of people in America who did not have access to scripture or to a church, they did not even have the choice to choose between different religions or even if they wanted to worship or not. "As the borders of the United States expanded during the nineteenth century and as new demographic changes altered urban landscapes, revivalism also offered worshippers a source of social and religious structure to help cope with change.", I like this. Religion being used to help give people faith and hope in difficult and stressful times.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment