Tuesday, November 29, 2016

Dominant themes I saw in American history



Today I will talk about what I see are the dominant themes in American History from 1607-1861. The first thing I will point out that I see as a dominant them is slavery. Slavery is a big issue that had a huge impact on American history. It was one of the main causes of the civil war. There was the underground railroad which helped slaves escape, but people in the south were not happy about that. They wanted their slaves back, but since there was not slavery in some states where they escape to and there was nothing they could do. A lot of times Slave owners and patrols would catch slaves and bring them back and treat them even worse for trying to escape. When Lincoln became president, the south was not happy and they succeeded from the union. This is (as I said before) one of the great causes to the American civil war. The second theme I see is Manifest destiny. Manifest destiny had a lot of parts to it. For instance, it included the taking over of the Native American soil and driving them away. It also included the gold rush. That started with a man named James W. Marshal who was working for John Setter found gold on his land in California. The word spread quickly and people from all over came down to California seeking fortune and wealth. Most failed but it inspired railroads and communities to be built. There was a high competition for land and this made living very expensive for some newcomers to California. This are the theme that I saw mainly in American History.

No comments:

Post a Comment