A course blog from the students in HY 201 Dual Enrollment at Jacksonville State University and Jacksonville High School, Fall term 2016
Thursday, November 17, 2016
Slavery
Throughout my years in elementary schools, as well as middle school, slavery was not talked about a lot. They taught you that it was bad and was a mistake in our nation's history but never talked about what exactly happened. Middle school is where I started to learn more about slavery. Before this week I knew a good majority about slavery. I knew that Native Americans were the first slaves. I knew that slaves were seen a s property and that other Africans captured Africans and sold them for food, money, or weapons which created the slave trade. Most slaves went to islands and colonies that grew crops and only a little portion went to the United States. They came on ships where there was a lot of disease and a good bit of spaces died on the way over. I knew that they were abused and punished with whips or by hitting them. I also knew that they lived in horrible conditions and in shacks and barns. Slaves were also auctioned off based on how they looked and that makes were worth more. This week has expanded my knowledge of slavery and has taught me so much more. I learned that people used different strategies to fit the most slaves and keep them alive on a ship and that there was even a book created that showed the best way. I also learned that during the auctions people bought females so that the woman could get pregnant and they would get an extra slave.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment