A course blog from the students in HY 201 Dual Enrollment at Jacksonville State University and Jacksonville High School, Fall term 2016
Monday, November 14, 2016
Slavery
Growing up in the south I already had knowledge of slavery. People think that only white men were slaves and only black people were slaves, which is not true. Different races could own slaves and different races could be slaves. Any slave was seen as property not as a human, so whoever was a slave was not treated well. There would be auctions for slaves and how a slave looked would determine how much they were worth. After class, I learned that some slaves who bought their freedom then became slave owners. I also learned that slave owners looked for young males because they would be able to work for a longer time. It is upsetting to know that slaveowners would impregnate a woman slave in hope that their profit would increase. I knew that slaves were whipped for doing things that were "wrong." Although, I did not know slaveowners had people patrolling the slaves to make sure they did not run away ;slaves knew not to run because they knew they would be whipped if they were caught. Slavery is not a thing to be happy about and I am glad it is not longer around.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment