I was taught was slavery was at a younger age when I couldn't understand what it truly was.
After reading this chapter and watching the video I understand in more depth what slavery truly is. Slavey is a terrible thing that the south made out to be not that bad and they had a better life. Slave ships would sail to Africa and kidnap the slaves. The slaves were chained together and had to stay there almost the whole trip back to wherever they went. They were beaten, starved, and had no clothes. This doesn't sound like they have a "better" life. They would sell mothers away from their children. They got better at selling the slaves. The slave ship even wrote a book about how to pack as many slaves as you can fit into a slave ship. The slave owners did not treat the slaves any better due to the fact that they were scared that they slaves would revolt. The slave owners were also scared because they though the slaves would kill them in their sleep so the slave owners beat the slaves. Without the slaves the south would not be so successful and rich, so when people wanted to take away the slaves the south got angry. I have learned that slavery is one of the most terrible things that has ever happened on this planet. I also learned that slavery is way worse than everyone thinks.
No comments:
Post a Comment