Friday, October 14, 2016

My Ideas of the Founding Fathers

I honestly do not know much about the founding fathers. I am not into history all that much, but I do know this. Many people throughout history were painted as heroes when, in all reality, they are actually either regular folk or horrible people. Paul Revere was not the only person to warn the townsfolk, “The British are coming! The British are coming!” In fact, he did not even say that. If he did, they would have found him. Him and a few others went door to door quietly warning the people of the British. That being said, I know nothing of the founding fathers. As I have said in previous blog posts, I am not a huge fan of history, nor have I learned a lot of what should have been taught to me. My point being, the founding fathers’ actions could very well be lied about, misinterpreted, and even completely forgotten. All I know for a fact is that these people just wanted their own freedom. They might each have had their own personal motives, they could have been racists or misogynists, and they probably wanted more than whatever was on the surface, but I know for sure is that they all signed the Declaration of Independence. You, in all likelihood, expected me to write something along the lines of how great and honorable they were, but I am too ignorant to even tell you what you expected me to think. To summarize, I know that I don't know what I don't know.

Upon reading this, I have realized my initial response was a bit overzealous. I assumed the worst of the founding fathers. I thought this document that you had us read was going to alleviate any confusion of what I thought of the founding fathers. Instead, I learned more about the ignorance of the founding fathers, but ignorance is not a synonym of stupid. I learned how they did not know what would happen. In other words, they were unsure. I never actually assumed that they were sure. They wanted freedom, and they knew this was a risk. If you have freedom, you have freedom to take reckless actions and risky actions that have a high chance of leading to death. I do not believe this, but after reading this, it sounds like the founding fathers had a death wish. They definitely were not ignorant, but they were, however, arguably stupid. Well, at least, they knew they were ignorant. To lose ignorance, you must take risks, or experiment. They knew this, and they did both. I believe that any fallacies caused by ignorance of the founding fathers exists, but it is not unwarranted. These people, the founding fathers, may have been ignorant. Regardless, they founded this country. Who cares about them being ignorant? Our country would not exist without them, and that is praisable enough to commend them. I will not say that I have not learned anything, but I will, however, say that my beliefs of them have not changed.

No comments:

Post a Comment